CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Hero For a Night


My brothers and I have another game tonight. I believe our record now stands at 5-2. Our win last week was the stuff of legends; you should have seen it. The other team was obviously the better, and after the first inning they were up 12 runs. Their bats were thunder-sticks and their mitts were a wall of inescapable vacuums. As you can imagine, we were quite intimidated, and all but defeated. But, just as we were about to abandon all hope, something in our defense switched on, and we were able to hold them to only three more runs the rest of the game as we continued to chip away at their gigantic lead. We sat at the bottom of the last inning 15-15 with one out. There was a man on first and third, and I was up to bat. With one out I only had to hit the ball deep enough for the man on third to tag up and make the run for home. This would seem like a very simple task to the average player, but seeing as how I stand just below average when compared to the rest of the league, I was a little skeptical as I stepped up to the plate. While standing there I became increasingly aware of the dumb things we yell from the dugout, things like "good eye" when the pitchers ball drops a foot short of the plate, and is obviously unhitable. But, we say these things to be supportive and to keep our mouths busy, not actually to congratulate our teammate for avoiding a truly crap pitch, that if swung at would bring endless ridicule.

I allowed this mindless banter to drift to the background as I focused on the pitcher. He was my enemy and I was determined to send him home contemplating quiting the game of softball forever. I didn't just want to beat him, but to crush him, humiliate him, and if possible, cause a marital rift that would tear his family apart, leading to a plunge in his work productivity, which would result in his dismissal, causing the loss of his home and friends, leaving him penniless and broken. I didn't know it then, but looking back I wanted all these things. In the end there was less drama than I would have hoped. I didn't wait for the full count, but took the very first pitch within reach. I swung with all my might, and despite separating many of the muscles in my back and pulling my groin, I sensed the ball connect with the bat in what I like to call "the sweet spot." It was magnificent. The ball sored out, out, out of the infield, landing just past the second baseman, in a place I like to call "the hole", a place where "easy outs" turn into singles, a place where mediocre ball player's dreams come true.
The crowd was uncontrollable (by crowd I mean the three supportive wives) as our man on third made an easy run home bringing the score to 16-15 and ending the game. The air was chill, the stars were out, and I glowed like a pregnant woman as I reveled in the taste of the first sports success of my life.

11 comments:

LizMcG said...

Forget music, forget piloting, forget even shoeing. You have found your new calling as a pro-softball player. Congradulations.

The UnMighty said...

Sports Illustrated has not known sports description as lovely or poignant as this description of your meager efforts on the field.

Bravo. Brav-freakin'-o.

Melissa said...

That was my brother's team - and my bother-in-law is the picther. Thanks, Tom.

Jewels said...

Gritty game, that softball. Your moment of glory explains why I randomly stood up in my family room last week and began cheering for no reason. Are we friends enough for me to give you a cyber bum smack and say, "good game"?

The Jones Fam said...

tom,

i'm happy to see that the game has been kind to you. i remember our first t-ball game. we were on different teams. you hit the ball well off the tee, and ran around the bases excited. it was not until you had crossed home plate that you were informed that you had run backwards around the bases. oh, the good old days.

Tom Quinn. said...

It wasn't a mistake.
I was running around backwards in defiance of corrupt t-ball bureaucracy. I guess I got my point across.

Shelley Eggett said...

Oh Tom, you haven't changed a bit. This is Shelley (McDonald) Eggett, It was fun to find and read your blog. E-mail me your e-mail address and I'll send you an invite to our blog.
eggetts@gmail.com

Tanya Quinn said...

Tom failed to mention he received MVP of the night. That's my baby!

Tanya Quinn said...

Also, the team went on to win both games last night as well!

Jake Titus said...

Nothing like crushing another humans aspirations of glory. The pitcher is most likely on suicide watch as I type. Good job Tom, good job!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is I'm sorry I missed it...family should be there for the important events such as these...